My ideal muffin is a little bit salty, a little bit sweet, dense, and it has a sweet crunchy top. These muffins check all of those boxes, plus they hold up very well in the freezer, which is a must for me.
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk (any kind will do, I use 2%)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I use pure Mexican Vanilla extract)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or blueberries or whatever tasty little addition you might like. This recipe is flexible.
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place oven rack in the center of the oven. Grease (Pam, butter, etc.), or line with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Fold the wet ingredients, along with the melted butter, into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are moistened and combined. (Do not over mix.)
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter. Ice cream scoops work great.
- In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients and then sprinkle a little topping on each muffin.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5-10 minutes before removing from pan. Can be covered and stored at room temperature for a few days or they can be frozen.
- After they’ve cooled from baking, wrap each one in plastic wrap, and store in a labeled ziplock bag.
- These make them so handy for on the go. I’ll typically grab one on the way to work and by the time I’m settled at my desk, it’s thawed and ready to be enjoyed.
- To enjoy them warmed up: just pop them out of the freezer and place them back in the muffin tin. Place them in a 350 degree oven until heated through. You can also microwave at 20 second intervals until they are as warm as you like.
- Keep about 3-4 months