This weekend, Marissa and I were able to spend some awesome sister time together and our goal was to have really good yummy food. One of the things that she wanted to have was Nutella and Banana French Toast. She saw a picture of it somewhere couldn’t get it out of her mind.
The taste of warm bananas reminds us both of our childhoods when our parents would seek out Bananas Foster. This delicious flambéed dessert originates from Brennan’s restaurant in New Orleans, which out parents have frequented many times over the years. You can now find it at other fine dining establishments, and if you see it on the menu, get it. It is divine.
To make Nutella and Banana French Toast, we decided that it would work best as a sandwhich, and we were right. If you want, you can add syrup to it as well and eat it with a fork and knife, which is what one of our taste testers did.
Nutella & Banana French Toast
Makes 4 servings
2/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla
8 thick slices of 2-day-old bread, better if slightly stale. Try Challah, which is excellent for French Toast.
1 small jar of Nutella
2 bananas, peeled and sliced
1. In a large shallow bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla.
2. On dry bread, spread a layer of Nutella on each slice.
3. On four of the slices, place aroud six sliced bananas on top of the Nutella, and then top with the second slice of bread that only has Nutella.
4. Take the entire sandwich and dip into the egg mixture, allowing the bread to soak up the mixture on each side.
5. Melt some butter over a large skillet on medium high heat. Add as many sandwiches will fit at a time. Fry until brown on both sides, flipping the sandwich when necessary, about two to three minutes on each side.
And that’s it! Chances are you will only need to eat one of these, they are incredibly filling and delicious.